Dear Habitat supporters,
I wanted to share some news with you and reflect on a few of the successes from the past year that were achieved thanks to your generous support.
Firstly, we are pleased to announce our upcoming development at Wateridge Village, sponsored by Red Roof Foundation. The build is located on the former Canadian Forces Rockcliffe Airbase. In Spring 2020 we will begin construction on an eight-unit stacked townhome development, which will include two accessible barrier free units. We look forward to working with volunteers and donors to make this build a reality, and to welcoming families into their new homes.
Find out more information about the Wateridge Village Development.
I’d also like to share a few highlights from 2019:
- We celebrated our 25th anniversary of building homes in Ottawa and looked back on memories from the past 25 years.
- We doubled our build numbers, going from building four units per year to eight units per year.
- We welcomed four new families to our Leacross Landing development, including Rebecca and her son Jack pictured below.
- Our 2019 Women Build was an enormous success, raising $242,000! We are thrilled to be continuing with Women Build in 2020.
- We held our third annual Military and Veteran Build week. During this week Canadian Veterans, active duty military members and reserve members strap on their tool belts and hard hats, connect with one another and help us build houses.
- In 2018 and 2019 we partnered with Tungasuvvingat Inuit offering our Indigenous Youth Skills Training Program designed to provide Indigenous youth with hands on experience in the construction and trades. Since 2018, 42 percent of program participants have gone on to work in construction or a related industry! This program will continue in 2020.
- The Steel Toes & Stilettos Gala is our signature event that helps raise awareness and funds for the work we do. In 2019, with the help of our families, volunteers, staff and the generosity of our guests, we raised $100,000!
We are excited about our upcoming development projects in the years to come, which are only possible thanks to your support. Thank you for bringing communities together to help families build strength, stability and self-reliance through affordable homeownership.
Habitat for Humanity Greater Ottawa
Wateridge Village Development Sponsor: