You can own your own home through Habitat for Humanity's affordable mortgage
We partner with working families to help them build and buy their own decent, affordable home through a unique homeownership solution.
Do you qualify?
To qualify for a Habitat home you must:
- View the Online Housing Information Application Video. Click here to learn more;
- Have a total family income (before taxes):
- Between $46,933 and $69,542 for Ottawa residents;
- Have children under the age of 18;
- Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident;
- Be living somewhere that doesn’t meet your family’s needs;
- Be steadily employed, but can’t afford or can’t obtain a conventional mortgage;
- Be ready and able to contribute 500 volunteer hours (350 for single-parent families) to help build your own home and participate in other Habitat projects and community activities.
If you meet the above requirements, click here to start the application process.
How the process works
- You must submit your completed application either online or in person. Apply here.
- The Family Selection Committee will review applications and ask for additional information if necessary.
- The Committee will select families that meet the criteria and arrange for a home visit. All family members must be available for a family visit from members of the Family Selection Committee.
- The Committee will meet to discuss and evaluate the families they have visited.
- The Committee will select families to enter the Partnership program and present their findings to the Habitat Board of Directors. Selected families will be contacted and asked to sign a Partnership Agreement and to begin their volunteer hours.
- Families are then assigned a set of Family Partners to help them complete their volunteer hours and answer any questions they may have.
- Once a house is completed and the family has completed their volunteer hours, they will be asked to move in. Prior to the move, they will sign an interim occupancy agreement. From the time a family is selected until the time they occupy their new home, the process can take up to 24 months or longer.
Families who are not selected will be notified by letter. You can re-apply next year should your circumstances change.
Future Habitat Homeowners
Phase I Leacross Landing Homeowners
"We are going to build our life in a safe, comfortable, healthy home. The home will give us a sense of belonging and security and I am very thankful for that.” – Annie
“This new home will be better for my family and encourage my kids to look forward to a better life.” - Hadi
“Now we will have a home to create memories in and a place my children can look back in 20 years and say, ‘That's the home we grew up in.’" - Tereza
“We want to ensure a better environment that is healthy and safe for our children. This is only possible thanks to Habitat and to all those who are helping make this dream in reality.” - Abdellatif